Sunday, September 5, 2010

My heart, I need you to be small.

You've been off my mind for all this time, probably intentionally.
Something made me think of you today, and now I cannot stop.
Out of the blue you popped in my mind, and that used to make me sad.
But today when I thought of the time we have spent it made me smile instead.
There's still an ache somewhere in me, in a space you used to occupy.
I try not to imagine a day when you might again, it seems like a stretch now.
I want to smile now, and laugh about the silly things we used to do.
Yes, for that is what makes me feel stronger.
For months, maybe years we longed to live closer than thousands of miles away,
But now you are here in the same town as I, and we see nothing of each other these days.
I think of the first time you took your hand with mine
we sat under stars and wondered how long it could last.
The night we went down to the icy cold river and you made me jump in,
It was so cold I screamed and told you I'd never talk to you again.
The hike back to the car I fell nothing unusual there,
but for a change there was some one there to catch me.
The times we would sit and talk for hours until our heads were too full of each other's thoughts,
So we'd sit there in silence, not needing to talk just to be, as long as you were right there.

I remember laughing on the phone when you found a spider in your room and swore you couldn't kill it.
Those last night hours that seemed like a dream, but not ours.
That time that we walked through your old school.
It doesn't matter really that we don't talk much now,
I know you think of these things from time to time too, and I hope you smile as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment